Monday, June 13, 2005

Why NPR isn't so great

I know that Michael Jackson was acquitted today of all charges. What's more, I knew that probably moments after the announcement was made.

Why?

Because I was listening to NPR. Now, normally I wouldn't expect celebrity gossip to be synonymous with NPR coverage, but today, for what seemed an endless period of time but was probably at least 15 minutes, I was subjected to that height of news media fodder that is the celebrity trial.

I'd have been OK if the announcement had been made in a discrete manner typical to NPR coverage, with an aside during the reading of the important news of the day. But no, reporters were brought on to discuss the possible permutations of verdicts and jail time that might ensue for MJ. You know what? That's utterly useless information. There are ten thousand things going on in this world that are more important than the possible incarceration of a trite 80's pop star.

/rant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home