Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Peeks at our broken system

From CNN, via Atrios:

I am stunned by an interview I conducted with New Orleans Detective Lawrence Dupree. He told me they were trying to rescue people with a helicopter and the people were so poor they were afraid it would cost too much to get a ride and they had no money for a "ticket." Dupree was shaken telling us the story. He just couldn't believe these people were afraid they'd be charged for a rescue.

We charge people for everything in this country. I'm not surprised that anyone would have the impression they'd have to pay for someone to save their life - that's exactly how we treat many people with AIDS and other life-threatening illnesses. And usually, rescue helicopters do cost a boatload of money.

If things seem really fucked-up now, it's because they have been for a very long time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I just wanted to give a greeting and tell you I like your blog.

December 14, 2005 at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home