Thursday, February 02, 2006

Reading outside the lines

Much fuss is being made of this Toles Cartoon:



Not being a quadruple amputee, I suppose I don't have much authority to suppose that I wouldn't be offended if I were in such a position. But I think the statement in the cartoon is fairly clear, especially in context of Rumsfeld's recent remarks that the Army is not near its breaking point. I think you'd have to be looking for a fight to read it as a criticism of anyone but this administration or its defense secretary.

For those who challenge the cartoon's callousness, consider also that of the policies which it challenges, please, and ask if the depiction's offensiveness might be meant to mirror the way many of us feel about this war.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Weber said...

The soldier in the bed is the victim of the 'doctor's' callousness, not the cartoonist's (who is pointing out the victimization, bringing attention to the problem). My take: the Pentagon letter writers deflect criticism about their callousness by going on the offensive. Not surprising, given their profession.

It might actually have the effect of bringing more viewers to the cartoon, and attention to the problem.

February 2, 2006 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home