Thursday, December 07, 2006

Atrios in high form

Atrios just reminded me of the sort of analysis that had me reading him in the first place:

to be clear I think raising the gax tas is a good idea. If I were the Decider I'd stick on $3/gallon, at least until the people took to the streets and burned down my presidential palace. But rather than focusing on "what's good for them whether they know it or not" kind of policies, it's important to focus on policies which reduce the need for people to use gas. The kinds of land use changes which might result from a huge increase in the gas tax would take years and years to happen. Sure, people would over the course of a few years switch to more fuel efficient vehicles. But the primary reason the tax would be unpopular is that most people don't have other options. Start by providing them.

I think posts of this ilk have been thinner in recent years, as the demands of the commenting hoards and blogger fame have both diluted and reduced his excellent posts. Good to see some solid application of reality to politics and economics again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home