Thursday, December 09, 2004

Chairman Dean

I have a poster on my wall, two feet above my head right now. It's a "John Kerry, President" poster, back when he was the only John on the ticket, and on it is signed the name of Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the Democratic National Committee. All I can see in it now is his handiwork, his failed bid to put Kerry in office.

Yesterday, Howard Dean paid another visit to campus, the second time he's been to GW that I can recall. I caught his endorsement of Kerry on Kogan Plaza, but I missed yesterday. Thank god, then, for C-SPAN. A transcript is available here.

If you watch it or read it, either one really, you'll see why I've been supporting Dean's ascendence to DNC chairman since I heard his name mentioned as a candidate. For those of you who've spoken with me on the subject of the Democratic Party's future after Nov. 2, you should notice a great deal of similarity in what he says to my own positions. It's rather striking, actually; I'd expected to support Dean for DNC because he was the right man to turn the party around during the presidential election. Now I find he's got the right plan for the whole party, too.

The thing is, all of what he says is just common sense, no more. But that's always been what Dean's been about. The sad thing is that in comparison to the current ingrown party leadership, he shines like a visionary that he's not. That's why we need Dean so badly - not so he can be some genius nemesis of Karl Rove, but to show us what we all can be.

Our values, our core beliefs aren't mutable. I wish it didn't take Howard to tell us that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home