Friday, October 14, 2005

GW union stuff

Looks like the GW food service union is gearing up for another fight against Aramark come November, according to the Hatchet. I'm not sure what I think of the specific set of demands that the union has put forth, but I do know from past experience that Aramark are a bunch of jerks, and ought to be providing their workers with more. Also, they'll need significant leaning-on in order for anything to get done. Students should step up to do this, as we are relatively much safer than the employees in doing so.

I have to question the assumption that Aramark are making a profit, though. I haven't shopped at an Aramark vender yet this semester, and I expect I won't for the remainder. I am not alone. This is why the union will have to fight to include workers at the as-yet non-union shops in J Street and elsewhere. Letting Wendy's and the on-campus Starbucks be non-union was not worth any compensation the union received.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home