Friday, November 18, 2005

A peek at dissent

This leaked Washington Post internal discussion about Bob Woodward is fascinating. It's more than voyeyristic pleasure I derive from it, though; some of the criticism renews my trust of the Post, as the reporters within it clearly have trepidation similar to my own regarding the latitude afforded superstar reporters. It's ironic, then, that Jonathan Yardley is so taken aback by his comments being publicized:

I hardly see any point in having critiques and comments if they are to be publicized outside the paper. How can we write candidly when candor merely invites violations of confidentiality? Many readers say they distrust us. Well, now I find myself wondering if we can trust each other.

It's the "many readers... distrust us" part that gets me - I think reader distrust comes from seeing the major newspapers as monolithic institutions not capable of proper self-reflection or human consideration. The leaked conversation of Post reporters actually could help dispel these notions of the paper as faceless and untroubled by violations of journalistic ethics. Maybe the leak doesn't help Yardley trust his peers, but what was leaked sure helps me to trust them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home