Thursday, January 19, 2006

The slow path to security

GW is finally implementing an identification system not using social security numbers. About damn time if you ask me. This quote from the Hatchet underscores the move's importance:

Residents of D.C., have experienced more incidents of consumer fraud than any other U.S. city's residents, and people between the ages of 18 and 29 are at the highest risk, according to reports from the Federal Trade Commission.

Lets not forget that the university has not been very careful with our information in the past...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

My beef: I found out about their irresponsible use of SSNs when I was a freshman. I'm now a junior. Students have had the ability to sign up for an alternate ID (not their SSN) ever since my freshman year, possibly for longer, I don't know. So, WHAT TOOK SO LONG? Why couldn't they have implemented this school-wide a long time ago? It seems to me, when you're putting your students at risk for fraud, you remedy is as soon as possible. Idiots.

January 19, 2006 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Apologies. It seems you were saying the same thing in your entry. My bad. I expanded for you ;)

January 19, 2006 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger onlooker said...

No problem, I can always use some additional indignation.

January 19, 2006 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home