Sunday, July 03, 2005

Live 8

Seemed like a great set of concerts. I've grown pretty cynical about these things, and was pretty doubtful about the possible effect of such mass-media extravaganzas even before I'd turned on my TV to watch. I'm disappointed, I guess, in the notion that the future of the world ought to be determined by a bunch of millionaire rock-stars rather than activists rooted in the communities relying on change. Bono seems a poor substitute for Dr. King.

That being said, it would doubtless be a better world if all, or at least more, mass media were fashioned with the noble aims of yesterday's concerts. For that I must applaud the performers, and hope that their message is received by the millions of fans they brought. The world needs the change they purported to be after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home